Popular Posts

Friday, April 29, 2011

Primers . . . a dangerous subject. ! :)

So, I have been wearing a full face of make-up (meaning concealer, mascara and eyeliner) since I was in grade five - or maybe even four. Wich I believe would have made me ten or eleven? Correct me if I am wrong!
Oddly enough, I only found myself employed in the cosmetics industry a little over a year ago! And up until that time, I honestly had NEVER heard of a primer! How pathetic is that?!
It was never suggested to me by any beauty consultant and I guess I just sort of skipped through articles and blogs written about primers.
So this is where the real question comes in - are primers really neccessary?
Do you want me to tell you the truth?
There is not a chance in the world that I would be wearing a primer every day! Why, you may ask? I am already putting soooo may layers of product on my face that I honestly just couldn't be bothered! Secondly, if you have a good quality, long lasting foundation and your skin is in good condition, it really may not be neccessary for every day use.
Having said that, there are individuals who suffer from the following skin conditions in which a primer is EXTREMELY helpful: super oily skin, large pores, extremely dry or dehydrated skin, extremely red skin or even acneic skin.
For me, the most important thing a primer can do is enhance the longevity of any foundation.
Other than that, my foundation always blends PERFECTLY when I use a primer - the colour stays truer.
I like that there are options for radiance enhancing primers (MAC strobe lotion/cream, Smashbox Illuminating Primer, Aargon Oil illuminating primer, etc), so you don't actually have to put anything shiny on your face (amazing for pictures)!
And obviously the importance of mattifying and hydrating primers go without saying.
However, the reason I am really writing this particular post is that I noticed something - on Wednesday I tried the Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation for the first time. I absolutely fell in love with it!
So, of course, I wore it again on Thursday and took several other photos of my make-up that day. But I ended up deleting them because there was just something about them that I was not satisfied with.
Then I wore the make-up again today, and I have to say that I am not as thoroughly impressed as I was that first day. It finally dawned on me that the only thing I did different on Wednesday was apply a primer!
It really filled in my pores and my acne scars and helped my make-up stay truer longer! If you must know, I was wearing the Laura Mercier original primer - which I was initially not that impressed with but I guess it must be great!
And my final consensus - a primer for every day? Absolutely not, unless you deal with one of the skin conditions mentioned above.
Is a primer neccessary? Absolutely! For flawless make up, a primer is the way to go!
Stay tuned for my favorites!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment